Kirk A. Carter is a Corporate Immigration Attorney and Chair of the Immigration Practice Group. For more than 25 years, Mr. Carter has represented information technology companies, working with their human resource departments to handle complex business immigration matters including treaty trader and treaty investor visas, L-1 blanket petitions, and employer compliance issues. He has also counseled thousands of individuals from more than 60 countries, helping them to navigate federal immigration laws.
Well-versed in commercial lending and corporate law, Carter also counsels his entrepreneurial clients on how to structure their US business transactions to best meet their immigration needs.
Mr. Carter was the former member and chair of the Southborough, MA Board of Assessors, an elected position. He is a past president and Executive Committee member of the Board of Directors of Music Worcester. Carter is also Director and Vice President of Salisbury Singers, Inc., a former trustee of The Bridge of Central Massachusetts, Inc., a member of Pilgrim Congregational Church in Southborough, MA where he formerly served both as deacon and as past chair of the Music Committee, former board member and chair of the board of directors for Family Health Center in Worcester,and a former board member of The Danforth Museum. Mr. Carter is a member of the firm’s Management Committee and a past president of Fletcher Tilton.
Education & Certifications
- Suffolk University Law School, J.D., cum laude
- Boston College, cum laude
- Massachusetts Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Worcester County Bar Association
- Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court
- US District Court, District of Massachusetts
Mr. Carter has been involved with numerous local organizations. He is a past president and member of the Board of Directors of Music Worcester. Carter is also Director and Vice President of Salisbury Singers, Inc., and is both former trustee of The Bridge of Central Massachusetts, Inc. and a former board member of The Danforth Museum.
Significant Representation & Achievements
- Counseled thousands of individuals from over 60 countries on immigration matters
- Member, American Immigration Lawyers Association
- Assisted a global IT provider in conducting a comprehensive U.S. wage and occupational code analysis across a broad set of geographies, business units and company subsidiaries, which resulted in the development of a unified H-1B compensation structure.
- Represented a Silicon Valley engineering services firm in a wage and hour audit, remediating corporate compliance files and leading negotiations with government auditors, resulting in no fines or penalties being assessed to the employer.
- Obtained U.S. Lawful Permanent Residence status for individual investors through the EB-5 green card program, successfully guiding interested parties through the complex criteria of the program, obtaining appropriate investment advice, and overseeing the return of the client’s investment at the end of the program.
- Developed customized case production and tracking tools, including MSA/SOW contract databases in support of large-scale immigration programs for clients, in the fields of consulting and other professional services.
- Created proactive and shared recruitment strategies for clients in need of high-volume, low cycle-time PERM application processing.
- Drafted corporate immigration policies on behalf of large employers, designed to provide a fair, predictable, and cost-effective sponsorship framework for both the employers and workers.