Frederick M. Misilo, Jr.
Frederick M. Misilo, Jr., is an Officer of the firm, Chairperson of the Elder Law and Special Needs Practice Group, and Chairperson of the Trust and Estate Department. He serves on the firm’s Management Committee and is also currently serving as the firm's president. As one of the nation’s leading elder law and special needs attorneys, he focuses his practice on the areas of elder law, special needs planning, estate planning, estate and trust administration, guardianship, and adult service advocacy.
Mr. Misilo has been a tireless and lifelong advocate for individuals with disabilities and their families. He began his career working with individuals with intellectual and developmental disabilities and worked his way up to serve as the Executive Director of Harbor Area Community Services, Inc. in Boston, Massachusetts. After graduating from law school, Mr. Misilo became a legal advocate for individuals with disabilities and gained a reputation for his strong advocacy as well as his grasp of the complex regulations governing this area of practice. In 1991, he was appointed Deputy Commissioner of the Massachusetts Department of Developmental Services.
Since returning to the practice of law in 1994, Mr. Misilo has become a leading voice and frequent lecturer on estate planning, special needs planning and elder law. He has also taken on leadership roles in many regional and national advocacy organizations such as The Arc of the United States, serving on the Board of Directors, its Legal Advocacy Committee and as chair of the Arc’s Public Policy and Positions Committee. In the fall of 2016, Mr. Misilo was elected Vice-President of the Arc of the United States, Inc. and in November, 2018 he was elected as its president.
The media regularly seeks Mr. Misilo’s opinion on a wide range of issues relating to those with disabilities. As an example, Mr. Misilo provided technical assistance to, and his advocacy work was featured in “Autism: Coming of Age”, a PBS documentary which addressed the challenges faced by individuals with autism and their families. This documentary was chosen by judges from CBS, NPR, ABC and the PBS News Hour as the 2012 winner of the National Journalism Award from the National Institute of Health Care Management. To view the video, click here
Mr. Misilo’s career can best be characterized as one dedicated to using his expertise, advocacy, and experience to better the lives of his clients in every way possible, with an empathetic understanding of each person’s unique needs and preferences.
Mr. Misilo’s assistant is Wilma Vallejos: 508-459-8079 or email@example.com.
The Arc of Massachusetts Joseph Andrade Award for Leadership in 2011 and the Rose Pessin Memorial Award in 2012.
The Arc of Cape Cod awarded him the Arc Angel of the Year Award in 2010.
Past President of the Arc of Massachusetts, Inc., an organization that enhances the lives of individuals with intellectual and developmental disabilities and their families through advocacy of supports and services based in their communities.
- Elder Law & Special Needs
- Estate, Trust & Foundation Administration
- Estate, Tax & Financial Planning
- President of the Arc of the United States
- Past President of the Arc of Massachusetts, Inc.
- Board of Directors of the Arc of Cape Cod
- Board of Directors of the Arc of the United States
- Legal Advocacy Committee of the Arc of the United States
- Co-chair of the Policy and Positions Committee of the Arc of the United States
- National and Massachusetts Chapter of the National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys
- Academy of Special Needs Planners
- Past Chairperson of the Worcester Regional Chamber of Commerce
- Chairman, Board of Directors of Fallon Community Health Plan, Inc.
- Former Chairperson and member of the Holden Board of Selectmen
- INTELLECTUAL AND DEVELOPMENTAL DISABILTIES, 2017, Vol. 55, No. 4, 269-275 Intellectual Disability Policy as Developed, Expressed and Evaluated in AAIDD/The Arc Joint Statements: The Role of Organization Position Statements, Ruth Luckasson, Marty E. Ford, Elise D. McMillan, Frederick M. Misilo, Jr., and Margaret A. Nygren
- Arc of Massachusetts, Inc.: Rose Pessin Award (2012)
- Arc of Massachusetts, Inc.: Joseph Andrade Award for Leadership (2011)
- Arc of Cape Cod, Inc.: Arc Angel of the Year Award (2010)
- Certificate of Special Congressional Recognition for Outstanding Service (2005)
- Good Neighbor Award by Holden Democratic Town Committee (2005)
- Champion for Independence Award by Easter Seals (2004)
- Certificate of Appreciation by the Equal Justice Committee (2003)
- Outstanding Board Service Award by Alternatives Unlimited, Inc. (1998-2005)
- Certificate of Recognition for Service to the United Way Campaign Cabinet (1998)
- Outstanding Young Leaders Award by the Greater Worcester Jaycees (1991)
- Listed in Best Lawyers in America© for Elder Law (2012-2018)
- Successfully represented more than 50 special needs clients resulting in guardianship assignments and solid long-term care plans.
- Attorney Misilo has recently worked with the producer and is featured on the PBS documentary “Autism: Coming of Age.” This documentary is of interest to those concerned about the challenges faced by individuals with autism and their families
- Attorney Misilo recently spoke with Mindy Todd on WCAI’s The Point. Discussed was the importance of special needs trusts and options for personal, financial and health care decision making as children with developmental disabilities come of age. Listen to the discussion here.
- The Commonwealth of Massachusetts
- State of Rhode Island
- State of Florida
Our attorney provided excellent counsel on both a special needs trust for our adult son and an estate plan for us post-retirement. He went out of his way to accomodate my husband's medical condition by holding one appointment in our home and one at the law office in our hometown. We couldn't imagine a more caring attorney whose expertise in special needs and elder law is outstanding. Fred Misilo, and his entire team, made the emotional process of estate planning thoroughly enjoyable.
We extend our sincere thanks to Fred for all the assistance he has given us. His knowledge and expertise are invaluable and it's wonderful and refreshing that he is down to earth with a great sense of humor as well. Thanks so much for everything, Fred!
Fred is very knowledgeable and helped us to make decisions and plan forward. I'm sure we will be using his services in the near future and for years to come.
David & Joanna P.
Fred was great to work with and gave us a very good understanding of how it all works. His extensive knowledge of estate and special needs planning made us very comfortable in selecting the best options.
Dan & Pam L.
Fred and his associates at his firm have helped my family develop a comprehensive estate planning program involving special needs trusts, life insurance trusts , aQPRT, etc., while providing assistance to our son who has special needs.
All of my questions were answered clearly & completely. I am confident that I have helped to provide for my special needs grandson. I appreciated the convenience of the Framingham office.
Fred is extremely knowledgeable in the field of special education planning for a child. It is reassuring to know that we have secure plans for his future.
As parents of a young adult with a developmental disability, we are especially grateful that a law firm such as yours exists. Without the comfort of your expertise & guidance, our daughter’s future would be less certain. Our entire family (all 16 of us!) are much encouraged that we have a future vision that, notwithstanding the fact that none of us can predict that future, Jennifer’s well-being, living arrangements, protection of benefits, overall quality of life and financial situation are far more secure as a result of your assistance.
Enormous thanks to Fred Misilo for his warmth, expertise, thoughtful consideration, and exceptional knowledge!
Fred and his staff are excellent to work with.
We are long term clients of Fletcher Tilton. We value the relationship and appreciate the service we receive.
Ft. Myers, FL
Our experience with Fletcher Tilton was excellent. What we thought was going to be a difficult and nerve wracking procedure was made smooth, simple and transparent by Fred Misilo.
Mere words cannot express how comfortable I felt with Fred and his staff throughout the whole [estate planning] process. He was clear, concise, and calming. I'm very grateful.