Brian J. Coughlin
Officer | Immigration
Brian Coughlin practices in the Business Law area, focusing on U.S. immigration and global workforce mobility. Brian counsels established and emerging corporate clients on immigration issues related to employment authorization, company policy drafting, employee training, and general enforcement and regulatory compliance issues. He also advises on immigration due diligence and risk management in connection with corporate mergers, acquisitions, restructuring, and startups.
Prior to joining Fletcher Tilton, Attorney Coughlin practiced immigration law for over a decade at other prominent U.S. and global law firms. He regularly assists clients in the preparation of employment-based and family-based immigrant visa petitions, applications for U.S. lawful permanent residence, and all categories of nonimmigrant visa petitions. He advises in areas including professional and executive employment strategies, complex labor certification matters, immigrant investor petitions, and immigration concerns for international scientists, researchers, athletes, and entertainers. He represents clients in matters before the U.S. Department of Labor, the U.S. Department of Homeland Security, and U.S. Embassies and Consular posts abroad. His practice encompasses a wide range of industries, including information technology services, management consulting, financial services, insurance, energy, and healthcare.
Brian frequently speaks on business immigration topics at global mobility and HR industry conferences, and has published extensively on immigration-related legislation and trends.
Brian's paralegal is Rebecca Plunkett, 508.532.3532 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Co-author of article Death by a Thousand Memos which can be found on page 317 of the Conference Coursebook.
- Trump Admin Adds New Hurdle To US Green Card Process, Law360, 2017
- Employment-Based Immigration And Trump: What to Expect, Law360, 2017 (co-author)
- Surprise! Government Inspectors Are At Your Office, And Want To Meet Your Foreign National Employee: Homeland Security Site Visits and Tips for Employers, Immigration Law360, 2016 (co-author)
- Top Five Considerations: A Comprehensive Corporate Immigration Policy, Insights Magazine, 2017 (co-author)
- U.S. Immigration Update Related to COVID-19
- 16th Annual AILA New England Immigration Law Conference, Boston, 2019, Session Moderator: Death by a Thousand Memos
- H-1B Cap Season: How to Avoid Now & Address Later Requests for Evidence on Specialty Occupation and Level 1 Wages, Boston Bar Association, 2018
- Current Trends in H-1B Requests for Evidence: Practical Tips on How to Respond and Avoid in the Future, Boston Bar Association, 2018
- Current Challenges in Immigration Law, Massachusetts Association of Hispanic Attorneys, Boston Bar Association, 2017
- Legal Insights for Entrepreneurs, Startups & Emerging Companies, Newton Innovation Center, 2017 (co-presenter)
- A Proactive Approach to Immigration in a Changing World, India Symposium - Fragomen, 2017
- Corporate Employee Immigration Policy Drafting and U.S. Business Immigration Updates, Northeast Human Resources Association Webinar Series, 2016
- The ABCs of PERM Labor Certification: A Step-by-Step Overview, Lawline.com, webcast, 2016
- Employment-Based Immigration: Three Things That All HR Managers Must Know, New England Human Resources Association Annual Conference, 2016
- The Changing Landscape of Global Immigration: Trends and Case Production Strategies, India Symposium - American Chamber of Commerce and Fragomen, 2016
- U.S. Immigration Essentials for HR, SHRM Training Program, 2016
- Recap of the H-1B Cap Session, and Updates to Employment Rules for Foreign Students in the U.S., Northeast Human Resources Association Webinar Series, 2016
- Co-Chair, Boston Bar Association Business Immigration Law Section
- Member, American Immigration Lawyers Association (AILA)
- Member, Council for Global Immigration.
- Distinctions: Massachusetts Super Lawyers Rising Stars, 2013-2016
- The Commonwealth of Massachusetts
- U.S. District Court for the District of Massachusetts
- Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court.